A heated mattress pad is a type of electric blanket that automatically applies heat to your bed set. It can be installed on or underneath your blankets, and the cord plugs into the wall socket nearby. These pads have a whole lot of benefits, from giving you a comfortable night’s sleep to easing muscle pain.
How to Clean a Heated Mattress Pad? A Step by Step Process:
- Before beginning, unplug the heated mattress pad.
- Carefully remove the fitted sheet over the heated pad to avoid ripping it.
- Locate the control button in one of three places; on the electric cord, near your bed at shoulder height, or in a location mid-way between two corners of your box springs.
- Turn off the power by pressing down on the power button (or buttons).
- Remove all ties and Velcro straps for easier access to clean the entire heated mattress pad.
- Place vacuum cleaner hose directly onto hyper allergy/ asthma friendly materials (if included with heated mattress pad).
- Begin vacuuming.
- Be careful not to inhale any of the vacuum cleaner lines.
- Stop vacuuming when all matted-in dirt has been removed.
- Vacuum again using a different attachment or deep cleaning tool to ensure complete cleaning. Ensure all attachments are on their respective ends before beginning vacuum.
- Remove the vacuum hose from hyper allergy/asthma-friendly materials (if included with a heated mattress pad). Be careful not to inhale any of the vacuum cleaner’s contents. Alternately, remove hyper allergy/ asthma friendly materials by hand or throw them into a garbage bag for disposal in a proper receptacle.
- Reconnect all ties and Velcro straps to ensure the quality of the heated mattress pad. Alternately, reattach Velcro straps by hand only.
- Re-plug the power cord into the outlet. Alternately, plug into another power source if needed. Alternately, use motion sensor settings to turn off/on your heating pad at desired time intervals.
- Observe both the heated mattress pad and the vacuum for any remaining dust or scraps that may have been missed during the cleaning process.
- Turn on the heated mattress pad again if needed.
- Repeat steps of cleanliness for next time.
- Heated mattress pads are susceptible to damage if not cleaned correctly. If using a vacuum cleaner, ensure the heated mattress pad is thoroughly unplugged before the beginning cleaning process.
- If possible, remove box springs from the bed to prevent deep cleaning of all mattress components. It will help ensure the quality of your heated mattress pad for many years to come!
- To avoid causing any rips or tears, carefully remove fitted sheets overheated mattress pads before the beginning cleaning process.
- Make sure to remove the power before you go to sleep on a heated mattresses pad. It is critical as some products can cause electric shock, especially those that work with glass, plastic, and metal. Remove the electrical cord from under the mattress pad and then from under your sheets or comforter. Always do this even though the vacuum will vacuum up any dust that may still be inside the sleeve.
- Do not use a hairdryer to dry a heated mattresses pad as it can cause damage to a product with a glass or plastic finish. Remember, this is a textile item, so it needs gentle care and lots of time for cooling off before removing it from your bed set.
- It is recommended that you air dry or tumble dry your heated mattresses pad to avoid shrinkage.
- Do not wash the pad; instead, vacuum it with a unique vacuum cleaner. When using a vacuum cleaner, ensure that the suction does not damage the wires and components inside the pad. It is recommended that you use an electric heating pad and not a heated mattress pad when washing it.
- After installing your heated mattress pads, make sure you let them cool down for at least 2 hours before using them for sleeping or any other activity.
- When you wash your heated mattress pads, remove the blanket from your bed set and cover yourself with a thick blanket before turning on your heating pad. Covering yourself may prevent burns in short-circuiting or malfunctioning while using an iron while sleeping on this item.
Top 5 Brands of Heated Mattress Pads:
- Leesa Mattress:
The heated mattress of this brand costs $299. It is a memory foam mattress with a unique heating system created so that heat is distributed evenly in the mattress. The makers claim that the heat disperses continuously for ten years.
- Tuft & Needle Mattress:
The heated mattress of this brand costs $250, and the pluses about this brand are that it has advanced sleep technology and provides better ventilation to the individuals sleeping on it. The products of this brand are adapted with various types of technologies like adaptive materials, memory foam, acoustic waves, and many others.
- Dreams No Stuff Twin-set Mattress Topper:
The heated mattress pad of this brand costs $90, and the people who are getting this product do not have to spend much to get the best quality. The makers claim that it does not contain any chemicals that can leave any side effects on the individuals sleeping. The product is made with natural materials like cotton, bamboo, and fabric. It is said that the product can last for more than ten years.
- Zinus Heated Memory Foam Bed Topper:
The heated mattress of this brand can cost as low as $225, and it is a memory foam product. It has a temperature control system, and most importantly, it is made with Latex-free materials. The makers claim that there is no smell and no chemical contamination present in the product.
- Mee Mung Heated Fuzzy Monogrammed Cotton:
The heated mattress pad of this brand costs $170, and the people who are getting this product do not have to spend almost any money on getting quality sleeping aids for their bodies. According to the makers, this product has a temperature control feature, and people from all walks of life can use it.
If your body is used to a specific temperature of sleep, buying a new heating pad for your bed will help you get the right temperature and give you a perfect night of sleep so that you can get up early in the morning. You can choose from them with confidence and know that they will work following your specific requirements and preferences regarding quality, price, and functionality.